

I got to hold Spencer for the first time on Jan. 24th (he was almost 2 weeks old). At this young age, they have me do "kangaroo care" which means holding him skin-to-skin while he has a feeding (for at least 1 1/2 hours but up to 3 hours). I hold him almost every day (except this week because I have a cold) and it is mama heaven. The first time I held him, his body was so tiny I could barely feel his weight on me. There are definitely some scary moments while holding him. Babies his age just forget to breathe sometimes (apenea) and that can make their heart rate drop significantly (bradycardia - aka brady). It is emotionally draining to hold him when I can feel he is not breathing and all the monitors are alarming. But it makes me grateful that he is in a place where his nurses can help him when that happens, and as he grows those episodes will hopefully happen less and less.
Is there anything more amazing then holding your sweet baby? I love being a mom.


I'm so glad that you get to hold him! And especially that he is progressing and growing! I hope that everything continues to go well. And I agree with your last comment. Being a mom rocks and I love it too!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so happy you get to hold Spencer.
ReplyDelete